Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Left Brain Right Brain is the (cough) "True Autism Community"

I know I just got done talking about these chaps but I ran across some more nonsense earlier today and couldn't resist commenting. Over at Left Brain Right Brain, Kev is pontificating about what the GMC should do to punish Dr. Wakefield for his terrible crimes. Should they make his name shorter by chopping off the Dr. or should they perhaps boil him in oil?

As I have said before, the medical community is going to have their pound of flesh from Dr. Wakefield, so I would be willing to betting they will making his name shorter. Although, if Brian Deer has a say, I wouldn't rule out the oil quite yet. After all, he is going to need something to do now that his favorite whipping boy is gone.

Anyway, Kev was rallying the troops and encouraging them to contact the GMC to make their feelings known when he said this -
You can play a part in helping to make sure that the GMC know the feelings – the anger – of the true autism and autistic community and by urging them to strike Wakefield off.
There you have it, LBRB and its audience represents the "true" autism community.

Yeah, um, OK, if you say so Kev.  I guess that means the rest of  us must be impostors or shills.  I do have one question though.   Isn't the GMC supposed to be an unbiased forum where evidence and reason hold sway?  And if so, what possible difference would the "anger" of the "true autism community" make?

I don't think I really need to point out the absurdity of Kev's statements. But I will say that when a small minority group declares that they are the "true" community and encourages their members to show their righteous anger it never ends well.

Next stop - Waco, Texas.

4 comments:

  1. This sort of thing certainly isn't unprecedented. The neurodiversites on the spectrum have stated "we" don't want to be cured for years now without even consulting me whether or not I want a cure and also have referred to themselves as "the autism community" as if any of them have anything in common with most persons on the spectrum myself included on any demographic, particularly functioning level and gender (given the highly skewed female denizens of the internet who state they are on the spectrum in spite of the 10:1 ratio of HFA among the males to females reported in the literature)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Jonathan, even though you have autism, I am not sure that you count as part of the "true autism and autistic community" unless you drink the kool-aid, agree that Wakefield is the devil, and make a donation to the cult of neurodiversity.....

    (I kid, I kid)

    I have seen these chaps hint around this issue before but I can't remember them ever coming right out and brazenly claiming to be the "true" community. But I can't say that I am surprised to see it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MJ, I just recently came across your site and I must say that I like it. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my regular blogsites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course not, I'm glad you like the site.

    ReplyDelete